Recipient of the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas’ Outstanding New Construction in a Historic Setting Award, the renovation, and addition of Ozark Hall was completed in August 2013. Ozark Hall, located on the University of Arkansas campus, is a historic classroom building comprised of two wings, the original section was constructed in 1940 while the later extension was added by WD&D in 1947. The 2013 renovation and addition consists of a complete exterior restoration of the 68,500 square foot building as well as a new multi-story addition of 22,500 square feet. Work on the existing building includes limestone repair and tuck pointing, as well as window and door replacement. The interior of the building was reconfigured – maintaining or repairing the historic finishes – while also including new spaces and HVAC systems. The building addition matches architecturally with the character of the historic structure.
Ozark Hall houses four learning units: the Honors College, Graduate School, Geosciences Department, and Research Sponsored Program: including a 180-seat and 400-seat auditorium, teaching labs, classrooms, seminar rooms, and conference space, as well as departmental and faculty offices. There are also several student lounges, workplaces, and computer labs. In terms of the site layout, the final U-shaped building footprint conforms to the University’s 1925 Master Plan and includes a central courtyard for exterior classes, events, and student lounging.